Hi there. Thank you for signing up for The Reading, a newsletter by me, writer and critic Yanyi.
Every first Sunday of the month, you’ll receive my advice column responding to writers wrestling with a creative conundrum. If you’d like to send me a letter yourself, you can drop your own question in my Letterbox.
On Wednesdays, I host The Writing, an evolving series on the more day-to-day practical questions concerning craft, institutions, and becoming a writer. This series comes with a paid subscription to The Reading, but you can check out early posts like this one if you’d like to get a preview.
The monthly letter will always be free at The Reading, but if you’d like to be a part of the paid subscriber base, you’ll be supporting me and my work while also gaining access to
- Postscripts to the monthly Sunday letter
- Access to Five Questions, subscriber community interviews
- The opportunity to be featured on Five Questions yourself(!)
- The Writing, a Wednesday series of practical thoughts on craft and industry
- The access to ask your own question for The Writing
- Our community Discord chat
- The first word on my newest offerings
- Discounts to my independent writing courses
A little more about me: I wrote my debut poetry collection, The Year of Blue Water, about art and community. I’ve been practicing writing seriously for about a decade and giving advice informally for about “¯\_(ツ)_/¯” years. You can find out more about me here. Aside from email, you can check out The Reading’s home page to read the full archives and other posts as they are published. I’m on Twitter and Instagram, if you’re so inclined, though you should note that I’m not on social media very often.
It can be isolating, difficult, and confusing to work on art alone. I’m glad you’ve joined The Reading and, who knows, maybe I’ll hear from you soon!
Until then—on with the work.